25 Years of Programming Home Page
Welcome to 25 Years of Programming, a collection of open source
libraries in C++ and other languages, How-to articles on topics including website security, management,
design, and safer web surfing, and a variety of online calculators. I've also published Microsoft Access
and Word documents, templates,
and macros. I hope you find things that are useful and interesting.
The purpose of this website is to publish the hundreds of programs and other computer related
projects that I developed over the past 25 years. They range from simple
beginner-level utilities to complex experiments with
They are mostly open source, GNU GPL licensed, and:
- Have example code and example methods, often
extensively commented. Almost all the code is presented on web pages
for easy browsing, searching, and copying. Large projects also have
.zip download files.
- Are starting points for similar
- Some are useful.
- Some are entertaining.
- Some demonstrate or discuss interesting mathematical or scientific principles
such as machine learning, adaptation, evolution, complex adaptive systems, chaos,
- The vintage Heathkit H-89 and
H-100 programs serve a sentimental and historical purpose
by giving vintage computer owners things to do with their vintage
computers besides look at them.
The journey into the world of computers is a never-ending adventure of
exciting discoveries and new things to learn. My recent articles take a turn toward the topics I
now find most engaging:
- Website security and related configurations and precautions,
- Website management, and
- Website design, at which I claim, for obvious reasons, basic
competence but no particular artistic ability.
Where To Start
Table of Contents
to browse a list in outline form. It's dense, but complete.
- Search to find pages containing a keyword or phrase.
to drill down into the site projects by category.
- Blog is where the articles are. Most are long and
News, announcements, additions, updates
- 2012-07-06 - The online Regular Expression search
and replace text editor
now has a grep function to separate the input lines into two groups: the lines that do contain
a match of the given regular expression, and the lines that don't.
- 2012-05-23 New online 256-color palette editor
creates random and random gradient color palettes, displays all the colors as you work with
- 2012-04-30 - New online calculator generates and displays colorful random
fractal images at the click of a
button. Editing mode allows modifying the designs or creating your own.
- 2012-04-09 - There is an updated version of the "lookforbadguys"
webserver files for malicious code. The output report now shows the last modified date/time
for each suspicious file. A new search routine can report all files modified within a
specified date/time range.
- 2011-09-30 - The article about creating a
website photo gallery now has
an online calculator that generates the HTML table code for you.